Thursday, May 28, 2009

There's Always Someone Cooler Than You


Ever listened to a song and found it a little annoying? But then you found yourself humming the tune, so you listened to it again? Eventually you ended up liking it, despite it being sort of odd? Well, that's where I'm at with Ben Folds' song "There's Always Someone Cooler Than You." The music is great, but there's something off about the vocals that initially bugged me, but now they're what stand out to me as being a fun, defining feature.

As someone who grew up enjoying the quirkiness of artists like "Weird Al" Yankovic and They Might Be Giants, I've found that Ben Folds' style has a special place in my heart. I just wish his style was a a little more consistent; I find it difficult to find an album that really suits my tastes beyond a couple of tracks.

No comments: